Are you having a sit down dinner for friends at home today? Wouldn’t it be lovely if you could enhance your guest’s dining experience by decorating your table with beautifully folded dinner napkins? Whether you are hosting a fancy dinner party, a casual buffet lunch, or a romantic dinner for two, creatively folded napkins will give that special touch to make your place settings look extra special.
Here are 6 creative styles of Napkin Folding that are both fun and easy to do. Just follow my step by step guidelines and you are good to go.
1. Napkin Folding – Diamond Envelope
Step 1. Put the napkin face-down on the table.
Step 2. Fold it in half with the open end towards you.
Step 3. Now fold it into quarters.
Step 4. Keep the napkin so the open end faces away from you.
Step 5. Fold the top-most layer all the way forward to the middle and press it down flat.
Step 6. Fold the next top-most layer of napkin forward till it is touching the previous fold and press it down as well. See that the edges are in line with the previous fold.
Step 7. Fold the next layer back just like you did the two before it and touch it to the second fold. Press this down as well.
Step 8. Turn the napkin over and smooth-en it out pressing it neatly.
Step 9. Fold both sides back and over one another, about 1/3 of each way, check that it is in proper proportion and press the fold down well.
Step 10. Flip it over, arrange your silver cutlery in the pouch and you are ready to serve!
2. Napkin Folding – Bishops Hat
Step 1. Lay the napkin face down in front of you.
Step 2. Fold the dinner napkin in half so that the open end is facing you.
Step 3. Fold the far-right corner diagonally towards you. Be careful to keep the point in the center of the side that is nearest to you.
Step 4. Fold the near-left corner diagonally away from you, and fold it so that it lays right next to the previous fold.
Step 5. Flip the napkin over, placing it pointing to the far-left and to the near-right.
Step 6. Now fold the bottom half of the napkin away from you, laying it in such a way that the far edges run one on top of another.
Step 7. From under the napkin pull out the flap on the right, and make the near-side come to two points.
Step 8. Carefully roll the left half of the left triangle over and tuck it into the right triangle.
Step 9. Turn over the napkin, see that the pointed ends are facing away from you.
Step 10. Finally fold the right-triangle to the left, and push it’s end gently into the other triangle.
3. Napkin Folding – Glass Lily
Step 1. Lay the napkin face-down in front of you.
Step 2. Fold the napkin in half diagonally.
Step 3. Fold the napkin into quarters.
Step 4. Create an accordion fold to the entire napkin from one end to the other.
Step 5. Fold the napkin at the one third point.
Step 6. Tuck the folded par of the napkin into a wine glass.
Step 7. Using your fingers, gently pull apart the loose corners sticking up so they are evenly distributed.
Step 8. You can make 3 points or 5 points into petal shapes depending on whether you want a three petal Lily or a five petal Lily.
Step 9. To keep your petals upright see that your napkin is a starched one. Otherwise your Lily will start to droop very soon 🙂
Step 10. Light up that candle at the centre and your setting is complete.
4. Napkin Folding – Play Bunny
Step 1. Take a square linen napkin. A thinner napkin will suit this style better than a thick cotton starched one.
Step 2. Fold the napkin in half and then again in half. You will now have a long rectangle.
Step 3. Turn both the right and left sides up to meet in the center, forming a point at one end.
Step 4. Repeat step 3 with the opposite corners.
Step 5. Fold the side corners in so they meet in the center, but don’t fold completely straight.
Step 6. Pull up above the center point, and you’ll start to see the ears shape up. let the napkin take the shape of a kite.
Step 7. Turn your napkin over carefully and turn the bottom point upwards, so that it is approximately one inch above the center of the dinner napkin.
Step 8. Again turn the napkin over again slowly. Roll over the left side, just a little more over the center of the napkin.
Step 9. Tuck the right side corner point into the envelope that is created on the left side. This will help your napkin to stay together.
Step 10. Now turn the napkin straight and open up the base slightly at the bottom.
Step 11. Adjust the play bunny’s ears, tweaking them outwards one-third from the base.
5. Napkin Folding – Simple Standing Fan
- Lay the napkin face-down in front of you.
2. Fold the napkin in half and orient the open end towards you.
3. Fold the napkin like an accordion starting at either narrow end. Leave one end with 2-3 inches of unfolded napkin to support the standing fan.
4. Fold the napkin in half with the accordion folds on the outside.
5. Grasp the unfolded corners where they meet on the open end and fold them in diagonally, tucking them under the accordion folds.
6. Open it and stand it up. A beautiful fan for a beautiful dinner.
6. Napkin Folding – Elf Hat
1. Lay the napkin face-down in front of you.
2. Fold the napkin in half and orient the open end away from you.
3. Take your finger in a pinch and hold the napkin at the middle point with your left hand. This makes sue the your cone is nice and clean
4. With your right hand roll the napkin from the corner to form a cone.
5. Once its fully rolled into a cone, turn it with the pointed end towards you.
6. Turn out both the pointed ends of the cone outwards like you would do to a shirt cuff.
7. Smoothen it properly till it stands on its own.
8. Stick a little ball or a fancy cocktail stirrer at the top.
9. There you go, your elf hat is ready!
Which of these did you like the best? Do you have some favourite one that you’d like me to show here? I have many more styles – will put up more soon.
Also watch out for videos for these that I will record for you to see. After all you learn best when you watch someone doing it.
So which one am I going to see when I come for dinner to your place next? I can’t wait to find out!